A Family Apart (Orphan Train Adventures (Pb)) - Joan Lowery Nixon

Frances Mary is thirteen and the oldest of the six Kelly children. She loves her Mother, but can't feeling betrayed and abandoned when her mother sends them away in hopes they have a better life.

Frances Mary realizes that she and her siblings will be separated, as it will be very unlikely for any couple to take all six children. But she made her mother a promise, a promise to stay with her youngest brother and to do this, Frances Mary must pose as a boy.

The beginning of the book was kind of slow and at first I found I had a hard time getting into the story. But it does pick up and get better.

My heart broke when the kids found out they were going to be sent away. I understand the mother did it so they would have better lives, so they could have things that she couldn't give them. But I also understand the children's feelings. I know it must be traumatizing to leave the only parent you have left. I really teared up at that part.

It was a really good book and I'm looking forward to reading more in this series.