The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian - Sherman Alexie, Ellen Forney

Junior is 14 and lives on the Spokane Indian Reservation. One day Junior decides he wants to go a school off the Reservation. His new school is in a small town and all the kids there are white. It's weird at first, but Junior is determined he's going to make something of himself.

I've heard a lot of good things about this book and it is a good book. I like the story and I like Junior. This is the first book I've read by Sherman Alexie.

But this book and others I've read that deal with race, white people may be shown as having problems, but still, they always have it better. And that bothers me simply because I've seen allpeople can have it hard. Yes, even white people. I'm Cherokee (not fullblood, I'm also Welsh and German). I didn't grow up on a Reservation because my Great-Grandfather along with his sister left.

And I don't look Cherokee. At least I don't think so. My skin is white. I have experienced racism because of it. I have experienced hardships. While I don't know what it is like to live on a Reservation, I do know what it is like to live in poverty. I know what it is like to be hungry, I know what it is like to feel trapped in life situations that you have no control over. My point is, despite having white skin, my life hasn't been all sunshine and rainbows like some people may think. I think that being mixed has given me a different perspective on things like race. I can see it from the side of being white and Native.

And I've noticed that people somehow always try to separate from each other. I even see it in books. Even this one, although Junior does somewhat change the way he sees white people.

I just wish people would realize that every race experiences hardships and successes. I think that's my only real problem with the story and similar stories.

That being said, I did enjoy the book. I like that Junior liked to draw and the illustrations were good. And I will admit I teared up a few times throughout the book.

I think I'll check out some of Alexie's other books eventually.