Paint the Wind - Pam Muñoz Ryan

Maya has lived with her strict and overprotective Grandmother ever since her parents died when she was young. All Maya has left of her Mother is some toy horses and a photograph, both of which she has to keep hidden.

But suddenly, something happens and it changes Maya's life.

First I want to say that I really like the cover for this book. It is beautiful. Just as a warning, my review will probably contain some spoilers so read no further if you don't want any spoiled.

In the beginning I wasn't sure if I going to like to this book or not. Maya's Grandmother was simply not likeable. At all. She was so strict and overprotective. And the housekeeper in the beginning was pretty annoying too. I understand Maya is not perfect, she has a habit of lying and it seems getting the housekeepers fired. I think she gets the housekeepers fired so she has a bit more freedom for a few days. Besides being watched by her Grandmother, it seems it is also the housekeeper's job to keep an eye on Maya.

And while I don't agree with lying, I think I can understand why Maya would lie.

My parents were extremely overprotective and as a teenager, I had no life outside of my parents. I was basically not allowed to. I never lied like Maya did, but I would make up stories in my head where I was the main character and I had friends, I was allowed out without my parents, etc. I lived my life through stories I made up in my head. I think Maya was doing the same, but instead of just keeping them to herself, she told them to other people as well.

As for the story itself, I liked it. It was interesting to read a story involving horses.

So I did like Maya, in some ways I could relate to her. I liked her family on her Mother's side.