The Knife of Never Letting Go  - Patrick Ness

Todd is 12 and in exactly one month he'll be 13, which means he'll be a man. Todd lives in Prentisstown and it isn't like other towns. They have Noise and Noise is being able to hear each others thoughts all the time.

One day Todd and his dog, Manchee, are out walking and they come across complete silence. This isn't normal - what could be causing it? Soon enough Todd will find out and his whole world will change.

I have to say this book surprised me. I started reading this and at first, I didn't know if I was going to like it. At first, Todd wasn't very likable, but as the story goes, it definitely gets more interesting and I found out why Todd was a little rough around the edge. He's not a bad character at all. I actually ended up liking him and feeling bad for him. He's young and has a pretty rough road ahead of him.

And I loved Manchee. I honestly wish animals could talk. How cool would it be to talk your dog, your cat, your hamster, or whatever pet you may have?

Viola was a good character also. Even though she was afraid, she stayed strong.

I think the story was very interesting and unique. Basically, Prentisstown is not on our earth - it is on another planet! Apparently, people went there to start over, to have a better place to live that wasn't like their old planet. And there is just something there that causes people to hear thoughts, which they call Noise. Well, not all people's thoughts can be heard. For whatever reason, it is only men's thoughts that can be heard. Women can hear the thoughts as well, but no one can hear theirs. I don't know why that it is, but maybe in the other two books it'll be explained.

I'm really glad I read this. The story is really good and I couldn't put it down. I'll definitely be reading the rest of this series.