A Curse Dark As Gold - Elizabeth C. Bunce

When Charlotte Miller's father dies, it's up to her to take over the Mill business. Stirwaters has always been run by a Miller and with no brother to take over, Charlotte is the only one who can run the business.

But besides Stirwaters, Charlotte's father also left debt behind she didn't know about. And now, she doesn't know how she will pay them.

That is, until she meets Jack Spinner. With his help, it seems that any problem Charlotte has will go away. And the payments he asks for aren't so bad, until he wants the one thing Charlotte cannot possibly give to him.

Somehow Charlotte must find a way to stop him.

This is a retelling of the Rumpelstiltskin tale. There are similarities with the original tale, but the author did a good job of adding some similarities and adding her own original ideas to the story.

Charlotte seems to be young. I don't remember if her age ever mentioned, but somehow, I feel she can't be more than 17. However, she is very independent and determined to run the family business. She may not always make the right choices, but she does what she thinks is best. She cares for the business and those who work there.

Charlotte is very stubborn though and while trying to unravel the mystery of Stirwaters, she tends to keep what she finds out to herself, not even telling the man she loves what she knows. And that's because she doesn't want him to get hurt. She didn't believe in the curse of the Mill at first, but after some happenings, she isn't so sure anymore and so, she wants to protect him and others she loves.

I like Charlotte though. She's a strong character. I also like her sister, Randell and the workers at the Mill.

The story itself was good and interesting. There was some mystery and suspense. I quite liked the book and thought it was a good retelling.