The Double Life of Pocahontas - Jean Fritz
The book begins with a happy eleven-year-old Pocahontas and describes her life. She was happy about the budding time of year; about the new green and the young Pocahontas would splash in the river and play with other children her age. But, like everyone else, Pocahontas was curious about the settlers from England. They came from a strange world, a world full of strange things that she didn't understand. And the biggest question of all was, why are they here? Were they staying? But, Pocahontas wasn't afraid of them. I believe that she really just saw it as a chance to meet new people from a strange land and experience new things.The Double Life of Pocahontas is a short read, but filled with lots of information about the life of Pocahontas, the english settlers in Jamestown and the misunderstandings between the Native Americans and the settlers.I know there is not much known about Pocahontas, but I do feel that in Fritz writing she captured true the personality and feelings of Pocahontas. After reading this, I feel as if I know so much more about Pocahontas, her life and how she really was. Through Fritz's writing you could feel the joy, happiness and hurt that Pocahontas must of felt. I just want to say that I do not read history books much, or even not-fiction. I usually can't make it through history books because they don't keep my interest, but Jean Fritz can definitely write a good history book that even those who aren't into reading history will love to read.This was a wonderful book and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the life of Pocahontas.