Amulet, Book 1: The Stonekeeper - Kazu Kibuishi
2 years ago, Emily and Navin's father died in a car wreck. Emily, along with her mother, was there when it happened. Now, for a fresh start, they are moving to a house their mother inherited from her grandfather.It's an old house, out in the middle of nowhere and needs a lot of work. They start cleaning right away, but it's going to take a while before the place feels like home.While cleaning, Emily finds a strange necklace and later that night, they hear something coming from the basement. Their mother goes down to check it out and she is taken. Emily and Navin have to find a way to save her.This is the first book in the series and wow, what a good book! The beginning is very sad, I had tears in my eyes. The story itself is very interesting and since not all is revealed in this book, things are a bit mysterious as well, which also makes for a good read.I also really like Emily. She is a strong female character, she is trying her best to save her mother and take care of her brother, as well as dealing with the responsibly of the amulet. I think it's nice to see a strong female character.I really liked this book and I can't wait to see how the story progresses in the other books of this series.