Ghoul - Brian Keene
It's 1984 and Timmy Graco can't wait for the summer. Timmy will be able to hang out with his best friends, Berry and Doug. They can read comics, ride bikes and hang out in their secret fort.But graves and tombstones in the cemetery suddenly begin sinking. Then, people start going missing. Timmy and his friends will have to face a creature that no one believes exists.The Ghoul movie is premiering on Chiller in April and I wanted to read the book before I saw the movie. And I am glad that I did. This book is set in the 1980s in Pennsylvania and is about three best friends. A few of the themes I noticed throughout the story is that sometimes monsters can be people, too. They can be your friends, adults and even your parents. Another theme is immortality. I thought both the themes fit well with the story.Timmy, Doug and Barry were all likeable characters. They were relatable and there were definitely times I understood completely how Timmy felt. In other words, Timmy, Doug and Barry were great characters.There is really so much I want to say about this book. I was hooked from the first chapter. It was very well-written and completely drew me into the story. It almost felt as if I were in 1984 and experiencing the same horrors as Timmy and his friends were. I went through so many emotions while reading this book. Just the scenes with Timmy's father, Doug's mother, and Barry's dad, I really really felt for them. And the ending was just so heart breaking.This is the first time I've read a book by Brian Keene and it won't be the last. I'll definitely be reading more books by this author.