City of the Dead - Brian Keene

Jim has found his son, Danny, and he couldn't be happier. But the dead are still out there and the numbers are growing. Martin and Frankie are still with him, along with Don, who is Danny's neighbor.

Together they fight off the dead and find themselves in New York, eventually in a supposedly indestructible tower. They feel safe for now, but for how long?

This is the sequel to The Rising and my review will contain spoilers. If you've read neither book, don't read this review any further.

City of the Dead begins where The Rising ended, Jim finally made to New Jersey and finds his son is alive. Of course, they have to run again right away.

In this book, more is explained about Ob and the Siqqusim, which is interesting. And let me just say, if you're reading this series expecting regular zombies, you're not going to get it. People die and the bodies come back to life, but basically the bodies are being possessed by what we'd call demons. They're intelligent and know what they are doing. Bodies aren't coming back because of a virus like what you might see in the movies.

But the Siqqusim aren't the only beings waiting to come into this world. Others are waiting, too.

And I think that's what so great about these books; the zombies aren't just zombies. It's not as simple as a virus wiping people out and bringing bodies back to life. The story isn't that simple. There's really a lot to it and City of the Dead explored more of that, more about the Siqqusim and these other beings. The difference between the zombies in this book and regular zombies is that you have more of a chance with regular zombies. You don't have to worry about them driving a car or picking up a gun and shooting you. The zombies in these books will hunt you and it just seems like they can't be stopped, only delayed.

I think the characters were developed nicely. And I was sad about Martin. He was one of my favorite characters. But it was nice to know that he went to some place better.

I was really hoping for a better outcome for Jim and the others, but like I said, these zombies won't be stopped. I thought the ending was sad, but hopeful at the same time. Martin was right that they really don't die.

These aren't just zombie books. There is much more to them and I thought both the books were great though I liked this one a bit more. I'd give it 4 and a half stars.